Saturday, July 19, 2014

CA Day, 2014

Two years ago, taking a transfer seemed like the second best option, first being dropping the CA course completely. Eventually when I did get a transfer, I landed in a place that can, at best be described as 'bittersweet'.
The work exposure was phenomenal! I was reporting directly to the CA and handling a bunch of decently smart juniors. But there was no pay. Unlike the previous employer, this one doesn't pay, simply because he can. 
And hence, there were times I wondered if quitting the first place was a mistake. 

But then, on CA Day,  I was to attend this function. And I knew my ex boss would be there. He's this big shot among the local CA crowd, so naturally, he had to be there, taking pictures of him on stage receiving bouquets from random overdressed people. And I was mentally prepared. I'd said my 'It'll-be-over-soon' mantras, done my breathing exercises through the train ride, I thought I was ready. 

But what I saw, I was unprepared for. 

I reached the venue and saw his car. I could recognize it easily because god knows of all those humiliating times I have had to unlock his car to carry his blazer for him. Like I'm not a CA Final Student but some chauffeur he paid by the hour. 

So I saw his car. And then I saw a guy, my age, dressed in decent formals, unlocking the car. A sense of deja vu crept over me. He went in, took the hanger that held the blazer and with that shy, humiliated and yet holding his head high mix of expressions, went inside the room full of other Chartereds, a few of whom he might have wanted to work for in future. But now all he was to them was an overpaid chauffeur.
He came back with the empty hanger, head still high, avoiding eye contact and unlocked the car once again and carefully hung the hanger back in place.

I did not feel pity for him. I was there. And I walked away. I walked away to the point of leaving this course completely. But I braved that. I had the guts to walk up to my dad and tell him that no matter how great he thought this profession was, it wasn't for me. But I walked away. On my own terms. With my head held high.  

And at that point I realized, no amount of money, no glorious work experience certificate could be worth my self respect. 

A striking lesson, CA Day 2014 turned out to be. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment