Friday, June 3, 2011

A mad tea party of conversations...

Since I'm jobless and college-less at the mo, I'm watching every movie that WB, StarMovies and the Cable wala throw out and one such movie was Alice in Wonderland. I've seen it 4 times already.
But I'll tell you this, I adore Johnny Depp's talents. The movie, I'm not sure if I like it, but Johnny Depp, totally.

Then I've coerced the *best* friend into selling me his iPod Touch, now that he has an iPad 2. The said iPod, narcissistically called Ashish's iPod (my little nano had names like iSneeze, iPukes or Casper) coincidently or not, has the original Alice in Wonderland on Stanza.
And I'm 19 and I've never read Alice in Wonderland as a kiddo. You can blame it on my school's poorly stocked library or the fact that the only children's author we knew was Enid Blyton.
Though I'm addicted to reading, thanks to Amma, who'd never think twice about spending money on all Nehru Book Trust books, Harry Potters, and a little later, on Sheldons, Archers and Dan Browns.
Anydo, here is 19 year old reading Alice in Wonderland, for the first ever time in her life. And come to think of it, it has so many things I could never have understood as a kiddo, and so many things that totally make sense now. The conversations in the book are lovely.
So I'm listing down some of my favorites here, and the list will increase as the plot progresses, I'm sure.
Here goes the start of a continuous post:

** "Speak English" said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

**"Why" said the Dodo, "the best way to explain it is to do it."
(if only the teachers knew :P)

**"I can't explain myself, I'm afraid sir" said Alice, "because I'm not myself, you see."

**"If everybody minded their own business," the Duchess said in a hoarse growl, "the world would go round a deal faster than it does."

**"If it had grown up," she said to herself, "it would have made a dreadfully ugly child: but it makes a rather handsome pig, I think."

**Alice: "Would you tell me please, which way I ought to go on from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don't much care where-" said Alice

"Then it doesn't matter which way you go" said the Cat
"-so long as I get somewhere" Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you are sure to do that," said the Cat, "if only you walk long enough."

"Well, I've often seen a cat without a grin," thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! its the most curious thing I ever saw in my life"


(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment